Moving out checklist – who do you tell?

If you’re moving house, whether it’s into another rental property, purchased your own property or moving in with a friend or family member, you will need to inform a number of different companies about your move.

This is to ensure that any post can be diverted to the right place or so you don’t get charged for their services when you no longer live in the property.

You will need to notify the following about changing your address:

  • Letting agent
  • The council regarding about your council tax. Your new council as well as your old council (if you’re living in the same area, they may be the same council)
  • Electricity supplier
  • Gas supplier
  • Water supplier
  • Internet provider
  • DVLA
  • TV licensing
  • Your employer
  • Bank and credit provider
  • Insurance (e.g. car insurance provider)
  • Schools or universities if you attend any
  • Your doctors, dentist and vets if you have any pets
  • If you have any pets, update their microchipping
  • Any subscriptions that you may have (e.g. Your Tesco Clubcard, monthly magazine subscription)
Moving Out Checklist - Moving boxes

A few things to do after you’ve moved:

  • Go to the final inspection with your letting agent or ex-landlord for the room or property that you have been living in
  • If there are any cleaning issues and you have used an end of tenancy cleaning company, contact them about your issues and request for a re-clean
  • Return the keys of the old property to your letting agency or landlord
  • Request copies of the gas safety certificate, EPC, HMO license to ensure your new landlord has met their responsibilities
  • If there were any maintenance issues that you requested to be fixed before you moved in, check that they have been made
  • If you’ve moved into a HMO, introduce yourself to the tenants who are already living at the property.

If you have any further questions about moving out of a property, get in touch with our team. Alternatively, if you’re looking for a new place to live, check out what rooms and houses we have available in Crewe, Nantwich and in the Cheshire area.